It's time for the Skytrax ratings of the Best Airports in the world for 2022.
Who is Skytrax?
It's an international air transport rating organisation established in 1989. Based in London, UK. Skytrax is known for its yearly airport and airline rankings.
Skytrax Airport Awards Methodology:
The World Airport Awards began in 1999 when Skytrax launched its first Global Airport Customer Satisfaction Survey.
They rank airports based on customer surveys.
- They screen each survey to identify each IP/User information to delete any duplicates.
- They have a wide range of respondent nationalities. Over 100 nationalities participated in the survey.
- Skytrax covers a wide range of airports (Over 500).
- The surveys are provided in English, Spanish and Chinese.
- Skytrax pays entirely the costs of the survey.
- No airport is required to pay membership fees or subscriptions to be included in the survey.
- Skytrax doesn't pay the respondents for participation.
- No third party is involved in the survey and it's not connected to any type of trade association.
The survey was conducted from September 2021 until May 2022.
Skytrax Survey Topics:
The survey aims to evaluate traveller experiences from check-in to departure and everything in between. Few of the topics are mentioned on the Skytrax website and are the following:
- Standard of Airport website information.
- Standard of Airport APP.
- Getting to and from the Airport, Ease of Access.
- Public transport options, efficiency and prices.
- Taxi availability and prices.
- Availability of luggage trolleys (airside & landside).
- Terminal comfort, ambience and design.
- Terminal cleanliness, floors, seating and public areas.
- Seating facilities throughout terminals.
- Immigration - queuing times / system.
- Immigration - staff attitude.
- Waiting times at security screening.
- Family security screening options.
- Courtesy and Attitude of Security staff.
- Check-In facilities, queuing systems and seating.
- Wayfinding and Terminal signage.
- Clarity of Boarding Calls and Airport PA's.
- Flight Info Screens - clarity/quality of information.
- Friendliness of Airport Staff.
- Language skills for Airport Staff.
- Ease of Transit through Airport.
- Location of Airline Lounges.
- Washroom and Shower facilities in the terminal.
- Cleanliness of Washrooms.
- Hygiene standards.
- TV and Entertainment facilities.
- Quiet areas, Day rooms, Hotel facility, rest areas.
- Children's play area and facilities.
- Choice of Shopping - tax-free and other outlets.
- Prices in shop outlets.
- Choice of bars, cafes and restaurants.
- Prices in bars, cafes and restaurants.
- Standard of WiFi service.
- Power charging facilities.
- Telephone and fax locations.
- Bureau de changes facilities.
- ATM facilities.
- Smoking policy / Smoking lounges.
- Standards of PRM access and facilities.
- Baggage Delivery times.
- Priority Baggage Delivery efficiency.
- Lost luggage services.
- Perception of security and safety standards.
Best Airports in the World 2022 - TOP 10:
10th Best Airport In The World 2022: Kansai Airport
Kansai International Airport (ICAO: RJBB) is in 10th place. The airport is located in the Greater Osaka Area of Japan. And it's the airport hub for various airlines including Japan Airlines, Jetstar Japan, Nippon Cargo Airlines and more.
The airport dropped by one ranking to its current 10th place after ranking 9th place last year in Skytrax World Airport Awards 2021.
09th Best Airport In The World 2022: Zurich Airport
Zurich Airport (ICAO: LSZH) is in 09th place. The airport is located in Zurich, Switzerland, and it's the largest airport in the country, it serves as a hub for Swiss International Air Lines. In 2021, more than 10 million passengers flew through Zurich Airport.
The airport lost 2 spots compared to the previous Skytrax World Airport Awards 2021 where it ranked 7th best airport in the world.
08th Best Airport In The World 2022: Istanbul Airport
Istanbul Airport (ICAO: LTFM) is in 8th place. The airport is relatively new as it only fully opened 3 years ago in 2019 as a replacement to the previous main airport in Istanbul (Ataturk Airport).
Istanbul airport is the busiest airport in Europe with more than 35 million passengers that flew through it in 2021.
The airport gained a positive reputation and jumped from the 17th best airport in the world in 2021 to its current 8th spot.
07th Best Airport In The World 2022: Munich Airport
Munich Airport (ICAO: EDDM) is in 07th place. Located in Munich, Germany. It serves as the second main airport in the country after Frankfurt Airport and also serves as the hub for Lufthansa airlines.
Munich airport lost one spot compared to the previous Skytrax World Airport Awards 2021 where it ranked 6th best airport in the world.
06th Best Airport In The World 2022: Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport
Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (ICAO: LFPG) is in the 06th place. It's the largest airport in France and the third busiest airport in Europe. Paris CDG serves as a hub for Air France.
Paris Charles de Gaulle airport gained the 9th spot compared to its previous 2021 ranking where it ranked the 15th best airport in the world.
Continuing with our article on the best airports in the world, we now move to the top 5 best airports in the world for 2022.
05th Best Airport In The World 2022: Seoul Incheon Airport
Seoul Incheon International Airport (ICAO: RKSI) is in 5th place. It's the largest airport in South Korea and it's one of the busiest airports in Asia.
Seoul Incheon Airport serves as a hub for many airlines including Korean Air, Air Seoul, Air Incheon and more.
The airport as many airports on this list lost one spot compared to its previous 2021 best airport ranking where it ranked 4th in the world.
04th Best Airport In The World 2022: Tokyo-Narita International Airport
Narita International Airport (ICAO: RJAA) is in 4th place. Located in Greater Tokyo Area, it served more than 5 million passengers in 2021 with an average of approx 14.300 passengers per day.
Tokyo-Narita airport is the hub for many airlines including Japan Airlines, All Nippon Airways and more.
Contrary to some of the previous airports, Tokyo-Narita gained one spot compared to its previous 2021 best airport ranking where it ranked 5th in the world.
Now, to the golden list of top 3 best airports in the world for 2022.
Top 3 best airports in the world 2022:
03rd Best Airport In The World 2022: Singapore Changi Airport
In the 3rd place is Singapore Changi Airport (ICAO: WSS). Changi airport consistently ranked among the top 20 busiest airports in the world before COVID-19. Also, it ranked as the best airport in the world for 8 consecutive years and it's the first airport to be able to do so.
Singapore Changi Airport was the number one top best airport in the world from 2013 to 2020 consecutively.
Last year, the airport ranked as the 3rd best airport in the world just like this year. Also, the airport is considered the most beautiful airport in the world with stunning architecture and scenery.
02nd Best Airport In The World 2022: Tokyo Haneda airport
Tokyo Haneda Airport (ICAO: RJTT) is another airport from Japan on the list. Tokyo Haneda managed to secure 2nd place as the best airport in the world.
It serves the Greater Tokyo Area and it's the hub airport for major airlines including Japan Airlines and All Nippon Airways.
The airport has been operating doe 90 years now since 1931.
Last year, the airport ranked as the 2nd best airport in the world just like this year.
And now to the golden spot. The best airport in the world in 2022 award goes to:
Best Airport In The World 2022: Doha Hamad International Airport
For the second year in a row, Doha Hamad International Airport (ICAO: OTHH) achieves the award for the best airport in the world.
Hamad international airport accommodated more than 17 million passengers in 2021 and it's expected to accommodate a huge number of visitors in a short time during The FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022.
According to Skytrax, the airport has been described as the most architecturally significant terminal complex in the world, as well as being the most luxurious.
Doha Airport is the hub for the award-winning airline Qatar Airways.
Will Doha Hamad International Airport start another streak of being the best airport in the world and keep its spot for the coming years? We shall see ...